Professor Adam Letchford FORS
Management ScienceThe Management School
Professor Letchford's research is in optimisation, i.e., finding the best solution to problems that have a huge (possibly infinite) number of solutions. Optimisation is an inter-disciplinary subject, lying at the interface between Operational Research, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics and Engineering.
Professor Letchford concentrates mainly on methods for solving optimisation problems to proven optimality, rather than heuristic methods. He also has a particular interest in combinatorial optimisation problems, i.e., problems in which variables are restricted to take integer (whole-number) values.
Professor Letchford is recognised internationally for his work on optimisation. He has published over 50 papers in highly-ranked journals and edited books, many of which were co-authored with prominent overseas researchers. He has been on the editorial boards of 6 journals: Computational Optimization and Applications, Discrete Optimization, EURO Journal of Computational Optimization, Mathematical Programming, Mathematical Programming Computation and Operations Research. He has given over 40 presentations at international conferences, including 5 plenaries, and over 30 invited seminars in Europe and the US. He has also been on the programme committees of 10 international conferences.
In 2006, he became the recipient of a prestigious IBM Faculty Award. In the same year, he was awarded a 5-year EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship. In 2009, he became a Fellow of the Operational Research Society. He is currently co-ordinating the optimisation cluster of the LANCS Initiative, and also directing NATCOR, the national taught course centre in Operational Research. He is also organising a 4-week residential programme on optimisation, due to take place at the Isaac Newton Institute in Cambridge in 2013.
- Professor of Optimisation
- Coordinator of the Optimisation Research Centre
- Member of the Management Science Research Steering Committee
- Undergraduate Admissions Tutor for Management Science
- Director of the BBA in European Management
- Chair of the Management Science Research Steering Committee
- BA (Hons) Linguistics & Psychology, Nottingham, 1989
- MSc Operational Research, Lancaster, 1993
- PhD Management Science, Lancaster, 1997
Before coming to Lancaster, Adam Letchford spent two years as a research assistant in the Department of Psychology, University of Nottingham (1989-1991).
- MSCI502: Introduction to Operational Research
- MSCI534: Optimisation and Heuristics
- MSCI536: Optimisation (for STOR-i and Quantitative Finance students)
- Coordinator of the LANCS Optimisation Cluster (since 2008)
- Director of NATCOR (since 2012)
- Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College (since 2006)
- Writer for Mathematical Reviews (2007-2012).
Balázs Kotnyek (2002) A Generalization of Totally Unimodular and Network Matrices. London School of Economics.
Jakub Marecek (2011) Exploiting Structure in Integer Programs. School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham.
Official web page: www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/mansci/profiles/adam-letchford/
Personal web page: www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/letchfoa
Polyhedral Approaches to Some Constrained Arc Routing Problems
Other Interests and Hobbies
Cycling; playing piano, bass guitar, flute and saxophone; theology.
- Unbounded convex sets for non-convex mixed-integer quadratic programming
Burer, S. & Letchford, A. 2013 In: Mathematical Programming.
- A polyhedral approach to the single row facility layout problem
Amaral, A.R.S.. & Letchford, A. 2012 In: Mathematical Programming.
- Non-convex mixed-integer nonlinear programming: a survey
Burer, S. & Letchford, A. 2012 In: Surveys in Operations Research and Management Science. 17, 2, p. 97-106. 10 p.
- Decorous lower bounds for minimum linear arrangement
Caprara, A., Letchford, A N. & Salazar, J J. 2011 In: INFORMS Journal on Computing. 23, 1, p. 26-40. 15 p.
- On generalised network design polyhedra
Feremans, C., Labbe, M., Letchford, A N. & Salazar, J J. 09/2011 In: Networks. 58, 2, p. 125-136.
- New techniques for cost sharing in combinatorial optimization games
Caprara, A. & Letchford, A N. 2010 In: Mathematical Programming. 124, 1-2, p. 93-118. 26 p.
- On a class of metrics related to graph layout problems
Letchford, A N., Reinelt, G., Seitz, H. & Theis, D O. 2010 In: Linear Algebra and its Applications. 433, 11-12, p. 1760-1777. 18 p.