Dr Mark Stevenson
Management ScienceThe Management School
PhD supervisionWorkload Control; Behavioral Operations Management; Supply Chain Resilience; Ethical Sourcing.
- MSCI 102: Introduction to Operations Management
- MSCI 382: Innovative Developments in Operations Management
- MSCI 573: Operations and Supply Excellence
- MNGT 503: Operations Management
- MNGT 190: Interdisciplinary Perspectives of Information Systems
BSc, Ph.D (Lancaster)
A core research focus is on Production Planning and Control (PPC) in low-volume/high-variety contexts, with a particular focus on the Workload Control (WLC) concept for Make-To-Order (MTO) companies. This includes action research through which the concept has recently been implemented in practice. Current research is also investigating how planning and control in job shops is affected by recent challenges, such as: engineering skill shortages, material shortages, offshoring, and a focus on both sustainability and traceability. Other interests include: behavioral operations management – behavioral influences and explanations for operational phenomena; supply chain flexibility; ethical supply chain management and sourcing practices; and, the resilience of supply chains to product counterfeiting.
PhD applications are welcomed in all of the above areas.
- Workload control (WLC) and order release: a lean solution for make-to-order companies
Thurer, M., Stevenson, M., Silva, C., Land, M. & Fredendall, L. 2012 In: Production and Operations Management. 21, 5, p. 939-953. 15 p.
- The theory and practice of workload control: A research agenda and implementation strategy
Stevenson, M., Huang, Y., Hendry, L. & Soepenberg, E. 06/2011 In: International Journal of Production Economics. 131, 2, p. 689-700. 12 p.
- Supply chain flexibility: an inter-firm empirical study
Stevenson, M. & Spring, M. 2009 In: International Journal of Operations and Production Management. 29, 9, p. 946-971. 26 p.
- Investigating implementation issues for workload control (WLC): a comparative case study analysis
Hendry, L., Land, M L., Stevenson, M. & Gaalman, G. 03/2008 In: International Journal of Production Economics. 112, 1, p. 452-469. 18 p.
- Theoretical development of a workload control methodology: evidence from two case studies
Stevenson, M. & Silva, C. 2008 In: International Journal of Production Research. 46, 11, p. 3107-3131. 25 p.
- Flexibility from a supply chain perspective: definition and review
Stevenson, M. & Spring, M. 2007 In: International Journal of Operations and Production Management. 27, 7, p. 685-713. 29 p.