Marketing student wins Alison Tasker placement award
Published 31 May 2012
Amy Heap receiving her award from Reuben Bashford of IBM
Shortlisted students present to an audience of second-year students during the Research@Work course, a compulsory course for all LUMS second-year students who are undertaking an industrial placement in their third year. The entertaining presentations give second-year students insights into what they can expect when embarking on their own placement year. They also offer shortlisted students the opportunity to present their reflections on their placement to their peers and to an invited panel of industry experts and LUMS academics. This year the panel, which was chaired by Professor Linda Hendry (LUMS), included Toby Stanbrook (Mazars), Andrew Hall (Visions Live), Reuben Mashford (IBM), Professor Mike Wright (LUMS) and Anne Welsby (LUMS).
The finalists were:
- Josh Moore – a BBA student who completed his placement at Xerox
- Amy Heap – a BSc Marketing Management student who completed her placement at Mattel
- Matt Gregson- a BSc Management & Information Technology student who completed his placement at GlaxoSmithKline
- Melody Wilson - a BBA student who completed her placement at Fujitsu
- Laura Melling - a BA Management and Entrepreneurship student who completed her placement at Chester City Council
- Kyle McQueen - a BBA student who completed his placement at Hewlett Packard
Following a series of informative and engaging presentations the judges selected Amy Heap as the overall winner. She received a cheque for £100.
Reuben Mashford from IBM, the sponsors of this year’s award, said: “I was extremely impressed by the quality of the students' presentations and also by the opportunities that Lancaster placement students make for themselves in the workplace. All participants added significant value to the organisations they joined, further outlining the quality of the Reseach@Work course and the value that a placement in industry can offer.”
For more information about the Alison Tasker award and the Research@Work course please contact the Course Director Norman Crump firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general information on industrial placements for LUMS students please contact Rory Daly, Undergraduate Placement Officer, LUMS Careers, Employability and Alumni Relations email@example.com.
Alison Tasker Award finalists with Professor Linda Hendry (left)