Dr Dermot O'Reilly
Management Learning and LeadershipCharles Carter Building
Lecturer on MNGT110
Course Convenor, Lecturer and Tutor on MNGT200
Lecturer and Tutor on MNGT320
MA in Human Resources & Consulting (full-time)
BA MA PhD
- Organizational Governance and Meta-Governance – processes of organizing; the institutionalisation of forms of work and social organization; legitimation; culture; discourse; and the inter-relations between ideational, technological and practical elements of organization
- Leaders, Leadership and Practice - critical perspectives; social-relational approaches
- Learning, Practices and Pedagogies - leadership development
- Modes of valuing - valuing as a social practice
My work is informed by critical theory and critical realism. Substantively, I have a particular interest in contemporary public- and part-public services and alternative modes of organizing.
- Developing leaders as symbolic violence: reproducing public service leadership through the (misrecognized) development of leaders’ capitals
Michael, T., O'Reilly, D. & Wallace, M. 2013 In: Management Learning. 44, 1, p. 81-97. 17 p.
- The Grit in the Oyster: Professionalism, Managerialism and Leaderism as Discourses of UK Public Services Modernization
O'Reilly, D. & Reed, M. 08/2011 In: Organization Studies. 32, 8, p. 1079-1101.
- 'Leaderism': an evolution of managerialism in UK public service reform
O'Reilly, D. & Reed, M. 12/2010 In: Public Administration. 88, 4, p. 960-978. 19 p.