Professor Stein W. Wallace
Management ScienceThe Management School
My main interst is decision-making under uncertainty. I focus on logistics and energy modelling.
PhD supervisionEnergy modelling
MSCI 535 Optimization (MRes - part of STOR-i)
MSCI 574 Logistics (which includes MSCI 544) (MSc in logistics and Supply Chain)
I am particularly focussed on how uncertainty affects optimal solutions in stochastic integer programs. Just now I am working on stochastic network design and facility layout.
I am also starting to look into energy problems, partly by creating contacts with UK companies and organizations, partly by re-establishing Norwegian ties.
Decision-making under uncertainty
- Stochastic programming
- Stochastic network design
- The art of modelling
- Multi-item newsvendor models with dependencies
- Energy modelling
- PhD in Informatics, 1984. University of Bergen, Norway
- MSc in Mathematics, 1981, University of Bergen
- BSc in Mathematics, Informatics, and Economics, 1979, University of Bergen
Departmetal PhD director.
Grant from the Grant Council of Hong Kong on the importance of uncertainty in air-freight forwarding. (With L. Leung of The Chinese University of Hong Kong and YV Hui of The City University of Hong Kong.) 2011-12.
Associate editor of INFORMS (ORSA) Journal on Computing, 1990 - present
Co-editor of Production Planning & Control, 1998-2000, member of International Editorial Board, 2000 - present
Associate editor of the stochastic programming e-print series. 1999 - present
Associate editor of Optimization and Engineering, 2003 - present
Member of editorial board International Journal of Advanced Operations Management, (new journal)
- Member of Editorial Board of Energy Systems, 2008 - present
- Member of Editorial Board of the new EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics
Elected international liasson for Europe and Africa in the Transportation Science and Logistics Society in INFORMS. 2006 - present.
Council member - the Bristish OR Society.
- Facility layout design with random demand and capacitated machines
Zhao, Y. & Wallace, S W. 2013
- Single source single-commodity stochastic network design
Thapalia, B K., Wallace, S W., Kaut, M. & Crainic, T G. 02/2012 In: Computational Management Science. 9, 1, p. 139-160. 12 p.
- Modeling With Stochastic Programming
King, A J. & Wallace, S W. 2012 Berlin : Springer. 173 p.
- Single-commodity network design with random edge capacities
Thapalia, B K., Crainic, T G., Kaut, M. & Wallace, S W. 07/2012 In: European Journal of Operational Research. 220, 2, p. 394-403. 10 p.
- Analyzing the quality of the expected value solution in stochastic programming
Maggioni, F. & Wallace, S W. 11/2012 In: Annals of Operations Research. 200, 1