BA (Hons) Business Economics
UCAS code: L102
The BA (Hons) Business Economics provides a strong foundation in economic theories and principles but with a particular focus on examining their relevance to business and managerial situations. Students will be asked to analyse the international economic environment in the UK, and to assess the impact of external factors on micro and macroeconomic performance and public policy.
This programme allows students to study economics whilst leaving more space in the curriculum for complementary subjects than is possible on the BSc Economics programme. Specialist streams within all three years of the degree enable students to combine their study of economics with another subject chosen from the Management School, Politics, or a modern foreign language. Alternatively, students can opt for a more general scheme by choosing a broader range of Management School subjects and Politics topics to combine with their study of economics.
General Studies: Accepted as one of 3 A-levels
GCSE: Maths and English Language, min grade B in both
Scottish Highers: ABBBB
International Bacc: 35 overall with 16 points from best three HL courses
ECON 100 and two Part I subjects from the Management School, Politics or Languages.
The single major degree structure comprises five units in Economics. This leaves three units available for minor subjects.
Compulsory Modules: ECON 207, ECON 208, ECON 209, ECON210 (for those students who have not taken ECON 103 at Part 1, ECON 212, ECON 331 and ECON 334, plus a further 1.5 units from the ECON 300 series and 3 units from subjects chosen from the Management School, Politics or Languages.
- ECON 100 Principles of Economics
- ECON 103 Quantitative Methods for Economics
- ECON 207 Managerial Economics
- ECON 208 Business and International Macroeconomics
- ECON 209 Applied Business Economics
- ECON 210 Introduction to Statistical Methods for Economists
- ECON 211 Mathematics for Economics
- ECON 212 Introduction to Econometrics
- ECON 220 Intermediate Microeconomics 1
- ECON 221 Intermediate Microeconomics 2
- ECON 222A Intermediate Macroeconomics 1
- ECON 223 Intermediate Macroeconomics 2
- ECON 224 Topics in Economics for Managers
- ECON 225 Further Topics in Economics for Managers
- ECON 227 Applied Macroeconomics
- ECON 324 Advanced Macroeconomics
- ECON 325 Advanced Microeconomics
- ECON 326 Monetary Macroeconomics
- ECON 327 Human Resource Economics
- ECON 329 Mathematical Economics
- ECON 330 Econometrics
- ECON 331 Industrial Organisation
- ECON 332 Development Economics
- ECON 333 International Economics
- ECON 334 International Business
- ECON 335 Dissertation Module
- ECON 350 Business Placement Dissertation (full-unit)